- The majority of band members in any group must be living and working in the north of England (please see separate geographical description below).
- We will prioritise musical excellence, in terms of musicianship, creativity and innovation, from artists committed to developing their careers.
- We will prioritise artists who can engage an audience (or are willing to learn): e.g. those who show an awareness of stagecraft, the ability to connect with audience or talk about their music and craft.
- There are no age restrictions or stylistic barriers. We expect the final portfolio to reflect the vibrant and diverse range of styles played by musicians across the North.
- There is no limit to the size of band, group or ensemble.
- Bands where all the musicians are in full time education will be ineligible. Bands where one or more musicians are still in full time education will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.
- Bands on the Jazz Services Touring Support Scheme between January 2013 and March 2014 will not be eligible. If there is a cross-over then a conversation will be required before being offered a place.
- northern line artists will be invited to attend an induction day and all artists will have access to a series of professional development modules with industry professionals between January 2013 and March 2014. Modules to include the following areas: stagecraft, building relationships with promoters, diary organisation, marketing skills, travel practicalities, best practice on gigs, performing and workshops for children and young people.
Thursday, 15 November 2012
Jazz North seeks bands to be touring ambassadors for Northern jazz scene
Here's a post from my friends over at Jazz North/Jazz Yorkshire - if you're a jazz musician in the north of England read on!
Jazz North is looking to recruit up to twelve bands to be ambassadors for the northern jazz scene between January 2013 and March 2014 as part of northern line, a new model for supporting touring for northern jazz musicians across the North.
northern line artists will be able to access professional development training combined with new gigging employment opportunities. northern line artists will be available to Northern promoters on a sliding scale subsidy. This will enable promoters to choose from an exciting and diverse rostrum of artists with low financial risk. northern line will benefit from a full marketing package in national and Northern media. northern line artists will be introduced to promoters across the North at three showcases during 2013.
Method of application and deadline: To apply, see http://www.jazznorth.org/projects/northern-line and complete the online application form.
Deadline for applications: 10:00am Monday 17th December 2013
How we will choose the bands: All applications will be assessed by an advisory panel pooled from Jazz North staff, peer groups (musicians), experienced promoters and industry professionals. Selected bands will be notified by 18/1/2013.
The North - a definition: For the purposes of this scheme, 'the North' refers to the following counties: Cumbria, Lancashire, Merseyside, Greater Manchester, Cheshire, County Durham, Northumberland, Tees Valley and Tyne and Wear, Yorkshire, Humber (North and East Lincolnshire).
Jazz North is supported by Arts Council England.
Posted by pecangirl at 08:51